Detail of a corner of a cabinet door, before intervention.
The structural "soul" of each door, made of plain cut pine boards, had physical deformation with considerable shrinkage, producing damage to the figured walnut veneer plaque in both sides of the doors. The unaligned edge in the picture is the result of that shrinkage, where the central pine board meets cross pine rails butt-joined on top and bottom, as shown in the sketch below.
The only solution for this problem was to disassemble each door in its pine pieces where cracks and open joins were visible, priorly assuring that the fragile veneer in these areas was re-glued in place before any cut. Eventually some veneer fragments had been temporarily hung beyond the edge of the pine board, forcing the intervention to be done with extreme caution and precision.
The cuts made also at the top and bottom rails had to be chosen in places where the inlaid band shapes would not be compromised in it's alignments and curvatures.
To extract as minimal material as possible, a veneer saw was used for all the cuts, and this saw also allowed a precise and sharp edge in the veneer plaques.
A few grooved wooden pin dowels were introduced as join reinforcements, when the rails were put back in proper alignment with the rest of the door.
Cold set hide glue was used in every glue procedure; Lee Valley® fish glue was used in this intervention.
Araldite AV 1253 epoxy carvable paste was used as gap filler, and touched-up with acrylic paints.
The intervention was done in mid 2011, and toke about 3 months to conclude.
- WELCOME !
- Wooden Objects
- Virgin and Child, framed.
- 5 Monumental panels - 16th century, Portugal.
- Polyptych - 16th century, church of "Ferreira do Alentejo", Portugal.
- Polyptych - 16th century, Scenes of the Life of the Virgin.
- Triptych - 15th century, portable, MNAA. Portugal.
- Portrait - King John the First, Portugal.
- Descent from the Cross - 15th century, Italy.
- 5 panels - 16th century, Paroque Church of Sertã, Portugal.
- Ecce Homo - 16th century, Portugal.
- Ecce Homo - 18th century, oil on poplar, Portugal.
- Architectural Elements
- Woodworking Pictures
- FOR SALE
- The Studio Blog
- Miguel Garcia Artistic Works
- Cila Garcia - Art Works